Originally Posted by Y33611
Cheapest most available ammo is and will remain, 308. It’s a better fit too if you might hunt hogs or black bear, though 6.5 could handle all. The 308 however will do it in stride, without the need for premium bullets. Personally I would feel underprepared (let’s call it) hunting elk with a 243, 6.5 or 7-08, withOUT also using the best possible premium bullet such as Nosler Partition, Accubond or similar. I would not feel that way with a box of Remington 308Win 180 grain PSPCL on an elk hunt.
This kind of thinking is backerds. The guy asked about a rifle to hunt deer in Georgia.

This is what all the gun writers taught us way back when. That for your first rifle you should get something that’s good for all game in all of North America. So the first rifle I bought was a 30-06. But I never went hunting elk or grizzlies or moose.

And years ago, I had a buddy that had killed more deer and hogs than anyone I knew. Probably more than the large majority of gun writers. He’d show ya his boat paddle 12 twist 223 and say, “This is all ya need.”

Now I’m not saying everyone should hunt deer with a 223. But I also wouldn’t add the condition that they’d need premium ammo for elk if they bought something less than a 308 if they ask about a deer rifle for Georgia.