The other day I watched a couple of older YouTube videos of Ron Spomer shooting his NULA .284 Win. That got my curiosity up, so I went to Barnes' online load data and poked around a bit. From everything I've read or heard, Winchester developed the .284 to compete with the .270, but utilizing a short action instead of a long one so the cartridge could be chambered in the 88 and 100. I suppose the same can be said for the .280 Rem as well since .284 ballistics are often compared to it too.

But here's what has me scratching my head: looking at Barnes' 7-08 data, it looks like many of the 7-08 loads equal or exceed the .284 loads (albeit generally with different powders) but utilize 8 to 10 less powder grains to do so. So are the Barnes .284 loads light or are the 7-08 loads heavy? What am I missing?

Just curious.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown