There is a big difference between the very early Citoris and those a bit later. The early guns, which started in 1973, are obsolete, meaning have no parts or corporate support (notably have plain receivers), fixed chokes, of course. These are known as pre-Type I and were made through 1976, with much the same mechanical arrangement as the last Miroku-made Charles Daly guns. Those that came after, also fixed choked and have somewhat different mechanisms, along with spare parts still being available. More history info here:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/know-your-browning-citori.html

As to the fixed choke issue alone, I would prefer fixed chokes as the barrels are lighter out there where it matters - the muzzle end. It’s a simple matter to have one choke opened.

In doing this, I would much prefer to open the top barrel (the full choke on a mod/full gun), to IC or Lt Mod. Then I would plan to mostly use the top barrel as the first shot on birds. The reason for this is primarily centered on that H pattern safety. With it set to the right, on “Safe”, I tend to push it off diagonally and will often inadvertently shove it to the middle so that the safety is still on. By carrying the gun with the safety on safe to the left (over barrel selected), the safety disengages easily and goes straight forward (right hand shooter; opposite for a lefty).

Anyhow, the value of the very early guns is quite low for reasons above. The fixed choked guns command a bit less, around $800-$1000, so long as they are not in that first series.

The Citori has earned its stripes as a well made and reliable gun in the target games where many are shot well past 100,000 rounds.

Last edited by GF1; 11/29/22.