Maybe a slight air leakage somewhere? Check all your hose clamps and fittings. Or above suggestions. Could be at a higher rpm it is suckng enough gas to overcome.

I once had a similar (opposite) problem, running wide open down the middle of the river. The motor started missing and losing power. Turned out the rubber gas-line feed from the hose connector toward the carb had broken a plastic clamp (old and deteriorated), and was sucking air. Idled OK- enough to get me to shore and find the problem.

I had cleverly left my SS wire out of the tool box, but found a piece of white store string in the bottom of the boat. That got me to my cabin, where I did have some wire, replaced with a hose clamp when I got home.

]
Originally Posted by Salty303
put the 2 smoker ob in the back of your truck back up to the dump bin and deposit. Buy a 4 stroke. Sorry, that's all i got

This!!![/quote]

[quote=Crow hunter

Not.

I've had fewer problems (but lots of repeats - water pumps, fouled plugs mostly) with 50 years of oil-slicker 2 stroke use than I have had in 9 years of 4 stroke. Not counting self inflicted wounds... smile. 100+ pounds lighter, and I can work on them, even on a river bank, rather than the nearly mandatory shop service and 2 month wait for my 2005 Yamaha f40. Plus, it is readily removable from the boat if need be. A 260 lb 4 stroke is not. Oh, I coluld do it in the bush , if I had to.

That remote steering and shift on the 4 stroke Yamaha is admittedly nicer on neck, shoulder, arm than my 30hp 2-stroke '96 tiller Evinrude , which will be a passenger in the bottom of my boat on my next try for my remote cabin, 700 miles OW from here. It is reliable, and does as well with the prop as the 40 does with the jet (making it about a 30), said jet being handy during low water off the main river. The Yamaha F40 has failed me on the last two attempts, near the far end of the trip. 1400 miles RT for nothing pisses me off!. 30 gets brush cached at the mouth of the side river 15 miles downstream from the cabin in case I need motive power for the upstream portion either river.

I don't need that 130 lbs of extra weight (Motor, tanks, hoses, water pump, plugs) on the final segment to the cabin- I can (and have) floated/rowed back to the mouth. I really don't like the extra weight, but it would not have been "extra" on the last two attempts.

This guaranteeds the F'kin-40 will run like a top all the way! smile

Last edited by las; 12/04/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.