Alrighty, finally have it in my hands. I'm in the process of cleaning maybe 100 years of copper fouling from the bore.

Image Gallery

This story kind of started a month and a half ago on a deer hunt. Always looking at the ground, I noticed a piece of brass sticking out of the dirt. The headstamp was REM-UMC 250 HP. Now, I'm a gun guy (Inherited the "gun gene" as a friend puts it.), and know the 250 Savage and .250-3000, but had never heard of the 250 HP-figuring it was the latest, greatest, whiz bang caliber out there-even though it wasn't bright shiny brass. I stuck the case in my pocket and consulted the Google when I got home. I was then enlightened to the evolution of the naming. I got a little intrigued along the way and started looking here. Lo and behold a buddy forwards me the auction flyer and there's a bona fide .250-3000 listed, one photo from one side. My entrance to the Model 1899/99 world was overwhelming to say the least. The Blue Book of Gun Values (BBoGV) lists no less than 30 different variations, but I was able to narrow it down from that one photo-but not definitively until I had it in my hands a couple of days ago. From the photo I knew it was a takedown, and not a tang safety. Although there are still questions-Rory's pocket reference has been ordered. I decided that I was going to add a 99 to the stable if the price was right. Trust me-I didn't need another rifle, but I was kind of hooked. There was a Winchester Model 42 at the auction too, but that's another story.

A friend made the purchase. He updated me on the day of the auction with general characteristics, but no specifics (ser# for one-I know, I know!!). Needless to say I was a little nervous. This is my first Savage lever gun. I have been gleaning a bunch of info from this site in the last couple of weeks and I appreciate all of the knowledge available here that is offered purely gratis with the hope that the information is helpful and passed along. It has seen some honest wear, but I believe it's been taken care of-the condition of the bore not withstanding. I will shoot it, and hopefully will harvest something with it. There are a couple other rifles in the lineup ahead of it, but it might get called in to pinch hit-circumstances dictating. I posted on the parts thread that I want a Redfield 70LT receiver sight to add to it. No response, so maybe there are chuckles directed my way-yeah right, 10 years ago maybe. The bore looks clean (now) with sharp rifling and I am hopeful it's a shooter. Now I just need some ammo and a little time.

Here's what I know:
Ser # 2101XX-forearm and stock numbers match
22" bbl, Utica address
Marble's rear sight
Weighs right at 7 pounds
1:14" twist-confirmed with one of the many patches that have gone down the bore

Here are the questions:
No model indication anywhere as I've seen posted here-bbl or on top front of receiver. According to BBoVG 1919 makes it a Model 1899 .250-3000 Rifle.
BBoGV says "fine cross-checkered trigger (unique to this model). Not the case on this one-very dark (black) trigger with vertical serrations.

Enjoy! Look forward to what you folks think.

LHS

Last edited by LHS905; 12/06/22.