Originally Posted by Kelljp
Been doing this for 20 + years. Bad news is with the population down everywhere it's a bit harder.
1st thing I do is contact DNR or wildlife resources in state of interest for there literature. This is a good time of year to actually get a live person to talk to.
Next thing is reach out to outfitters association in each state.
Sometimes an outfitter is the best option. Depends on how much time you have to hunt. Last year South Dakota trip had a bump (blizzard) so had to switch to Nebraska, took 3 days to find birds, but when I did it was absolutely the best place I've ever been for Merriam turkey.
Headed back this year for South Dakota Nebraska and Wyoming loop. Been talking to people in each state daily and will keep in touch until I get there.

Some good tips here.

Any state will give you the phone number of their biologist. They may or may not be of help with info on specific areas as they oversee large areas. Some states wwill give you phone numbers for county wardens. This is a LOT bigger help if you can get it.

And Kelljp brings up a good point about hunting Merriam's. WATCH THE WEATHER FORECAST !!!!!!!!!! You may have to call an audible at the line of scrimmage. It may be for the success of your hunt. It may be for your personal safety. I nearly got stranded in Nebraska by a "storm of the century" about 8-9 years ago during the 3rd-4th week of April.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.