Originally Posted by Stammster
Here’s what I do, which is a slight variance to what Fotis posted above.

Get the Wheeler kit with 2 levels that 1.) one that sits on any flat surface. 2.) one that clamps on the barrel.

Like this...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mount the lower 1/2 of the Talley LWs to the receiver and torque. Place level #1 across the rings. Level gun. Clamp level #2 on barrel and align level #1 -both levels should read the same.
(Note: if you have a flat top anywhere on the receiver, you don’t need to align on the top of the 1/2 mounted rings - just place level #1 on the receiver)

Remove level #1 from lower portion of Talley LWs. Place scope with proper eye relief and install top 1/2s of Talley LW. Place level #1 on top of scope turret. Rotate scope to align with level #2 clamped to barrel. Finalize ring screw torque - note: scope might rotate a little so you may need to repeat.

Verify with plumb bob. Occasionally the top turret / cap may not have been level with the scope internals. If using a scope with a removable turret (ie CDS), I suggest loosening those screws and seat the turret cap fully.

Close to what I do. I use a long level on either the base or action. Then put the barrel clamp level on the barrel and adjust it to match the long level. The adjustment screw on the barrel level makes it very easy to adjust. At this point the level on the barrel will always let you know if it's level or not.

Following that I install the scope and align the reticle to a hanging orange piece of paracord that's weighted on the end. Make sure the barreled action is level with the level on the barrel and that the reticle is level with the paracord. On rifles I plan on shooting longer distance, I usually go ahead and put a bubble level on the scope at this time for reference when shooting.

If I'm using a pic base, I use playing cards when putting the scope in rings and check against the above....it usually gets it really close. Sometimes I'll use MK Machinings Rail Mounted level along with the others - it's turned out to be very true but I only have one if them and not all scopes are going on pic rails.

I own/use one of the Reticle-Tru's but prefer the level's. It works well, I just prefer the levels and hanging cord....I've already got the cord set up and a work top located to view it so it only takes a couple of minutes.