Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Your fairy tale aside, I prepare for a version of this every year before fire season...

I don't have the room to load the entire safe contents into my truck with all of the other necessaries, and probably wouldn't have enough time anyway.

Given time, I can grab all of my pistols as they don't take up much room. I'd also take my one Barrett Fieldcraft, and a couple of 22LR rifles. My very accurate Tikka T1X and my CZ 452 Trainer, because this could be long term and I enjoy shooting.

If time doesn't allow that, I'd grab my Colt Woodsman 22LR that I got for Christmas as a kid and my CZ 452 for the aforementioned fun (& distraction from the loss). The rest can be replaced and is insured.

For those of you who just say, get a fire safe, I've got one but...

After a fire swept through a local community, several homeowners went back to empty their safes and were pretty disappointed in what they found inside. Also know of a guy north of here who had three high end gun safes, his house burned to the ground, burned pretty hot... nothing was salvageable.

Jerry
Yeah my first cousin has been a professional fireman for over 30 years and he told me not to waste my money on a "fire proof" safe, he said they have seen the aftermath from the inside of dozens of safes that have gone through house fires and said there is very little left besides maybe coins that come through OK.....Hb
But they do make it harder to steal the stuff inside.