Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by Jason280
It really doesn't feel that bulky, and barrel length should be perfect for pushing 110-130gr spitzers.
I bought one with the same dream and I could not get anything to fit correctly. I was hoping to get Nosler 125 grain Ballistic Tips to work, but I had too seat them so deep in the case that the .308 bullet diameter was below the case mouth. The 110 grain Speer would seat just fine though.

I am curious if OAL will be an issue, seems like the mags limit OAL....makes sense, though, considering its designed around 150-170gr flat or soft points.

Yes the magazine limits your OAL, you have to trim the case back to keep the ogive out of the case mouth usually with spitzers. You also might need a custom or Lee crimp die to get enough tension on the bullet since the neck does taper a little from shoulder to mouth. Or you could stick with Hornady FTX bullets which will work with the OAL constraints of the magazine.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Way back when...I bought a 788 in .30-30 simply to see if it shot like other 788s...it did!

Killed a lot of deer and a couple elk with it.

My 788 .30-30 often thinks it is a varmint rifle.