Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The interior of my wife's MZ rusts like crazy and nothing I do stops it. Rifle is a TC Impact with the nickel/stainless finish. I remove the breech plug and clean, cover with a good oil, and put in safe. 6 months later the inside of the barrel has a coating of rust on it. No other gun in the same safe rusts. And it sits right beside my CVA. Starting to think TC might of had a bad batch of steel.
Bought a quart of the Evaporust to try.
Snowwolfe, I know nothing of these modern muzzle loaders, the black powder substitutes you guys use...but the key to long term storage on the old guns is swearing off of anything to do with petroleum based products. What I would do, degrease the bore with something very strong, brake cleaner, acetone, alcohol...one of those. Then wash the bore with hot soapy water. Dry it thoroughly by wiping and warming it well. While the barrel is quite warm, swab it thoroughly with a soft patch saturated in animal fat...only animal fat, not vegetable base, no mixtures, just plain animal fat/lard. Obviously avoid fats that may have salt...bacon, ham etc. If you don't have some...The easiest is just buy a pint of rendered mutton fat from Dixie Gun Works. And never again use any petroleum based product either in your bullets or cleaning regimen. There are guns today being used, almost 200 years old, well maintained with animal fats. Oil wells being scarce as the west was settled. I suppose your gun has a plastic stock, but if it had a wood stock, the animal fat is good for it. Petroleum oil softens wood. Won't cost you much to try it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.