Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Biebs
Funny...here in the Northeast we would never consider burning softwoods like Pine, Hemlock, or Cedar, but when I travel out west to hunt, that's all they burn out there. You use what you have, I guess.

Here's a look out the gate 75 yards from my backdoor, that opens onto square miles of public land. Not a single hardwood that I know of out there, and I've covered most of that ground to the top of the first ridge. Second ridge is over the fence on private land. Over to the right, on top of that ridge, you can see a few ponderosa pines sticking up. There's one dead center of the pic that's hard to make out, just a dark spot in amongst the other trees. The rest is all juniper.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is what it looks like close up. The buck is bedded a hundred yards or so to the west (right) of that little road in the first pic, under that second larger tree in the "foreground". Every tree there is a juniper

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nearest oaks I know of are about 15 miles over that ridge in the first pic to the SW where they get a bit more moisture than we get here.

Believe me, if there was a hardwood around here, the first settlers would have burned it up or used it for wagon boards or something long ago...............if the local Indians hadn't done so already.

We can grow the scheidt out of juniper here though!

Your second pic looks like my place in Arizona with two exceptions

I have no Sage Brush .Some Scrub Oak and the Trees are thick with some branches over lapping so you can not walk threw them

That is some Beautiful property that you have and have access to for sure.