With any dog consistency is the key in everything you teach them - if you expect or accept anything different from the standard you want, you're lying to them and confusing them. Like you my personal dogs were all pets; being from the South, that translates as members of the family, my children, my babies - you know the deal. That being the case they were always subject to more NON-hunting and NON-training experiences with my wife and daughters than actual field time with me plus they were subject to 'non-standard' commands, etc. To deal with that, I did what I learned from my trainer mentor in 1975 - that was to always have a different collar for actual hunting and training time - I would just slip that on with the regular collar and made sure it came off when the field work/training was done. The dog will learn what is SERIOUS working dog stuff and what is simple pet play time. The more of a pet they are and the more they are indulged and engaged as a pet the more they will develope and explore their personalities - a kennel dog has more time to itself but will never have that personality.

Example: One lab ("Spanky") I had was the best, most determined retriever to hand that I ever had; but when it was play time, she would tease me by bringing (whatever was thrown for her) back until she was about two feet away, then turn and run just out of reach wanting me or the kids to chase her - if I ignored her, she'd bring it and drop it at my feet but the second I leaned down to pick it up, would pounce on it and tease me with it. If I put on her work collar, she was all business. All my other pets were the same way. I never used an electric collar with any of my pets. The only time I use one now is required by the place I guide for, when using their dogs, which are all non-pet kennel dogs and not bonded to a person. I don't have to use a collar much but I have to make sure it's on because they know it its off and on a whim may decide to head for the next area code.

Back to specifics for Brittanies, in my experiences relative to American pointers, English setters, and German Shorthairs they are much more personable and I never saw one that wasn't great with kids. They also tend to work well with other dogs - mine was matched with a female 3-legged English Setter and a super-large male GSP (also pets) and she always seem to bring out the best in them both ON and OFF duty so to speak. My grandfather was a old school trainer back in 20s, 30s, & 40's with pointers and Brits - the pointers stayed in the kennel, the Brits in the house. I apologize for digressing - I'm 72 now and your pup brings back memories. Hope you and yours enjoy the new family member - most honest love you'll ever get.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.