Pretty hard to nuts up a .30-30. Acknowledge that the loading manual authors know what they're doing, and stick with fast-to-medium burning rifle powders and you'll find it harder to create terrible loads than you will good ones. Of your powders you listed I would employ the Varget, RL-15, and TAC. If you can acquire a can of 3031 I would give it a whirl, as it's always been my go-to for the .30-30 and is a bit faster burning and more in line for the purpose than the medium burners you have. But, they're all good. Heck I even experimented with 4350 and Surplus 4831 once, and with heavy (190 grain) bullets they returned excellent accuracy but velocity wasn't anything to write home to Mom about.

On the other hand, 28gr. 3031 gives me exactly 2000fps with a 190 grain soft flat nosed cast bullet out of a 24" barreled M54 Winchester bolt gun. Right in line with factory performance of the old ballistic twin .303 Savage. (With startling accuracy, no leading, and a bullet that smacks/expands with authority. What's not to like?)

The .30-30 lends itself wonderfully to reduced loads too. It's a very efficient case capacity for .30 caliber for burning reduced charges of relevant powders, with a sterling reputation for accuracy among cast bullet target shooters. I'll go so far as to say if all I had was a good accurate .30-30 bolt gun or single shot to play with I would be content. Not every shot one fires needs to be capable of whacking an elk at 500 yards.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/30/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty