Honey Halflab came down with a hacking cough, on a Friday night, after vet hours (as is usually the case with our dog problems!). Options were fish bone ( soft and flexible, so I didn't think so, my wife did) , being vehicle-loped a mile, 2 days in a row at -20 or colder, fluff in the throat from a stuffed animal she had murdered, or kennel cough (vaxxed 5 months ago - but viruses mutate). In 50 years of dog ownership, I've never had a dog get kennel-cough, or been around one.

We wanted our vet to look at her. Good luck with that. Their options to us were a March appointment , call another local vet (who are likely in same boat, or if they aren't do i really want to use them?), or take her to Urgent Care in Anchorage, 150 miles away. Screw that. Treated her with bread smeared with peanut butter and honey, which should help with any of the 4 above. Can't hurt.

A week later, she's getting better, almost no cough left- mostly when she is roughing up the Dachshund.... so it looks like kennel cough.

So we are off this afternoon for Hope, about 90 miles away for NY. We are bring mashed taters for 18. We may be a few days.... Wintery mix, freexing rain, etc storm due to hit this evening and may last a couple days. We should beat the storm this afternoon, no telling on the return. Rick (Hope resident) will leave his dog home. Only other dog to be there.

Probably get Covid!

Happy New Year, youse guys!

Slip/sliding away...... smile

Last edited by las; 12/31/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.