Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
For the bullet, I highly recommend the Rimrock 158 grain SWCHP gas check. It is cast soft at 5 bhn and it will expand at these velocities.

Unique for the powder. 4.5 grns gets me 830 fps, 5 grns (a +p load) gets me 885 fps, in a 4 inch barrel S&W 67. These are for use in 38 Special cases.

I prefer using magnum cases with loads of this type in a 357 Mag revolver. 6 grains of Unique in a magnum case gets me between 1025 and 1080 fps depending on barrel length in a magnum revolver.

Regards,
Manny

6grs of Unique in a 38 special case would work fine for his purposes

Well, the OP wanted to replicate the factory Remington load, which 4.5 to 5 of Unique would do, in my experience. 6 of Unique in 38 Special cases while safe in his 357 revolver, would be fairly high pressure in a 38 revolver if it ever happened to get in one. It would be considerably hotter than the factory load he was trying to replicate. Since the OP stated he was new to reloading, I thought that was a better, safer, route to go. I do agree with Woodmaster above, obtaining a recent reloading manual and following it is good advice.

Regards,
Manny