What is your max distance you will encounter in "the fields" you hunt?

There isn't much real life difference in trajectory between flat-base (FB) spitzers vs boat tails (BT) out to easily 300 yards (and pushing 350-400 yards). Makes for an easy pragmatic decision to pass on BT design as result-if you want for those hunting distances.

In my view, if you plan to shoot "long distance" (however you define that, ie >400+++ yards), you should have a laser range finder to get the correct distance. If you have the ability to obtain an accurate distance, then the bullet design (FB vs BT) is moot, as you simply adjust your elevation setting for the bullet drop at that determined range. This approach negates any trajectory advantage a BT may have over a FB bullet.

I like to use "heavy for caliber" flat base Speer bullets, for their high sectional density. I used to use .277" 150 grain Speer HotCor flat-base bullets (sold off my 270 Win rifle 15+ years ago), but now use 0.308" 200 grain Speer HotCor flat-base spitzers in my 30-06 rifles. They have high ballistic coefficients (and high sectional density values) for "flat" shooting. I don't typically shoot "long range" for deer. Here in Maine, my deer shots are woods range. I just like high sectional density bullets for good penetration at any angle; but, if I post up on the edge of a clear cut, I feel comfortable taking a 300+ yard shot with my flat-base bullets. I don't have a laser range finder.

Speer bullets have been very accurate in my rifles (have also used 0.308" flat-base HotCor 165, 170 flat point, and 180 grain spitzers).

Go ahead with the Speer HotCor flat-base spitzers. Know your distance. Drag your game home.

my 2c.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."