Cool thread, thanks for sharing. I can’t imagine losing one of my guns, but I know it happens, from personal experience. We hunted Kodiak Island last November. Cold, snow, rain, and slick as hell. My nephew was carrying a S&W 686. Came out of his holster, presumably on one of the many falls he took. Back at the beach for pickup when he realized it was gone. Hunted the same area next morning, but of course it snowed a few more inches overnight. There is a new 686 waiting to be found in the mountains above Larsen Bay.
1985 or 86, hunting Grey Lodge refuge for ducks in Northern California I kicked up a Miroku O/U 12ga. Looked brand new. No one ever called the refuge looking for it, so I was able to keep it.
As said previously, maybe it fell out of a scabbard, maybe the original fence builder leaned it against a sagebrush, continued with their work, and then couldn’t find it again. Or, maybe a horrific struggle with a 2 or 4 legged critter. Who knows, but fun to ponder, especially with a good Bourbon in hand.

Eric

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics are questionable.