You know, maybe it's the scotch talking tonight, but it hit me out on the back deck tonight that the Savage Collectors-- dating back to your previous incarnations prior to the 24HourCampfire have really influenced my hunting. Somewhere in all of this is a post that influenced me to look seriously at the 300 Savage. Somewhere else is all your love for the 99, a rifle that for the entirety of its manufacture was lost on me. Somehow that got through to me.

And now here I sit, amid the last of the maple leaves, trying to recapture last Saturday and trying to figure out how I'll get all that venison into the freezer, and you all have a part in it.

One of my long-dead hunting buddies used to talk about the place that crazy uncles had in a young man's life, and how a young man needed crazy uncles his proper development into a man-- someone to ask questions and make confessions to that you would never ask your own father.

My father doesn't know squat about deer hunting. I'm pushing 50, so I'm no young man, but I see the truth of what what buddy said.

Thanks. There was a part of y'all out on that stand last Saturday, and there will be a part of y'all hanging on my mantle.

Thanks to all my crazy uncles at the the Savage Collectors.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer