Tubes allow you to experiment with slugs, which is expensive but fun and sometimes very worth it in results. But the fun is valuable, too. I don't have a choke measuring device that is accurate enough to tell me if my full choke really IS a full choke, and I suspect that various manufacturers have had various standards over the years.

For wingshooting with a .410, I think a full choke isn't the best choice, especially with modern ammo. But many, even most, .410s arent really used for wingshooting that much. The closest they get to a flying bird is a scampering cottontail, and they are excellent for that, partly because rabbits are very easy to kill--even the edge of the pattern usually will put 'em down.

The only .410 I use for wingshooting--and only for quail in heavy cover--is an 870 with a Skeet choked barrel that has been re-chambered for 3" shells. "Shoot quick or not at all."

I gotta get my dealer to order me some X22MSUB--sounds like the old ".22 Special." (Real Winchester lovers hate it when you call it by Remington's name for it).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong