Originally Posted by Anteloper
Originally Posted by Ranch13
I have fired hundreds if not thousands of rounds loaded with 5744. Have yet to experience any of the unburnt kernels in the chamber, and the unburnt kernels left in the barrel are generally pretty crumbly. Even if one was hard enough to roll out the barrel and chamber it certainly wouldn't be enough to make the action of a Sharps malfunction...

Glad you haven’t had any problems. I have.

In original & Shiloh Sharps, Ruger#1 & Rolling Blocks.
Not with every load but with some loads enough kernels can get into the chamber to prevent chambering, also leave hard dimples in the brass after some do chamber.

There is always a reason something won't work, but I can give you hundreds of reasons 5744 will work. I have shot thousands of rounds in all sorts of calibers and manufacturers of original and reproduction black powder rifles with no problems in the function and reliability with each gun:

Browning 1886 45-70
Winchester 1886 40-65
Winchester 1876 45-60
Winchester 1886 SRC 45-70
Colt Lightning 40-60
Colt Lightning 50 Express
Winchester 1876 50 express
Shiloh Sharps 1877 45-70
Shiloh Sharps 1874 45-70
Sharps 50-70 Carbine
Whitney Kennedy 45-60
Winchester 1895 40-72
Winchester 1895 38-72

All but the Shiloh and Browning rifles are original guns and none has ever suffered a problem or malfunction in decades of shooting. The internals of repeating rifles are much more susceptible to problems with debris than a Sharps, and none has ever even shown a sign of a problem with 5744. This is not contrived or speculated, this is experience with these rifles and 5744 over a long period of time. To claim there is really any problem with 5744, the person making that claim obviously never shot much black powder to really know what fouling and dirt can do to a gun...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]