I have done it. On the amphibious ships there is a well deck and they have a big gate (easiest way to describe it) they can raise and lower to launch the equipment that the Marines ride to shore. That is what you see here in the cover photo before you play the video. I spent a little over 3 years on the USS Nashville LPD-13 and we used to troll every chance we had. The captain of the ship liked to fish and he always said what good is a big boat if you can't fish off it? So we had rigs for a dozen or so trolling rods and on days where the ship was just cruising around (something very common for that type of ship) we would break out the rods. Sometimes we caught a lot, sometimes we didn't catch anything. Any good eating fish (tuna, dolphin, wahoo etc...) went to the galley and were cooked up. Ate a lot of fresh grilled tuna on that ship.

The USN always has water around it so fishing is common. While I was in I caught and released 5 black marlin, biggest about 500 lbs. Good times, good career, good experience. I miss being underway despite being retired for over a decade. I would have no problem signing up for another hitch and packing my seabag if I could, but that phase of my life is over.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!