I was hunting during the spike-and-doe-only season in Real County, Texas, when, at last light, this big animal stepped out. I had been told that all "exotics" were fair game (Axis deer have been caught on game cameras. Aoudad as well. And, within several miles, there are some high-fenced game ranches).

My first impression had been cow elk. At the shot, she turned and trotted off, showing me her characteristic rear-end patterning, and, for me at least, confirming my first instinct.

After finding her, she was too big for three sixty-something men to move, so I skinned and quartered her in the field. One of my buddies thought she wasn't near big enough for an elk, but maybe a red deer hind. I didn't age her (pretty confident about aging white tailed deer; elk, though, are out of my wheelhouse, and I had a lot of work to do . . .). Quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, and some flank and neck meat all tipped the scale at 151# once I got her to the processor.

After finding cell-phone reception later that night, Google informed me that red deer hinds do NOT have a mane. This animal did. So, I'm still going with elk. Any other possibilities come to mind?

Attached Images
IMG_3365.jpg (40.15 KB, 970 downloads)