Originally Posted by TRexF16
I have run this powder in the .308, .338-06, 35 Whelen AI, and 9.3x62, and all of that experience has suggested its combination of bulkiness and burn rate might be near perfect for lighter weight bullets in the 30-06. In all of the above, it was a struggle to get enough powder in the case to get the best of it.
Today I finally got to the range with some 155 Scenars loaded over RL15.5 in my JC Higgins M50 30-06 (CCI 200, .010" off the lands, R-P brass). This rifle tends to develop max velocities at a grain or two below the published "max", and thus, that's where I tend to stop. And I will certainly "stop" right here (at 54 grains). This needs to be shot a couple more times to validate it's not just a fluke but it bears all the earmarks of a perfect combination - groups tighten as one approaches max and velocity variations diminish. Of course, SD is essentially meaningless for 3-shot groups, but these results scream for much more work.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'm going to also post this to the other RL 15.5 discussion threads we have going here. I am thinking 30-06 165 grain bullets might also do nice with 15.5.

Cheers,
Rex

Looks like a good shooting old rifle. You can definitely see the better node. I have to ask, why did Aliant think they needed to manufacture a new powder, especially one with a weird #? I'm also wondering if it is worth the so called "struggle" to get it in the case? Were you using a long drop tube? If a powder is causing any kind of "struggle", I tend to move on. I'm thinking 4064 would be worth considering, if you want to run light bullets in your old 06..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA