Oh if it was only that simple...electrical power generating capacity is a commodity and is sold to the grid operator, at auction, 3 years in advance. All the sources that are producing in that grid, participate in the auction. Wind, hydro, solar, gas, coal, nuke. Let's say wind bids it's capacity at 30 bucks...coal bids in at 150...an old nuke bids lowest of all. Here's where the strange stuff takes place...the winning gencap producers then get the contract, regardless of their operating cost..they receive the amount of the most expensive producer in the auction...in my example, every producer gets 150 bucks...even if their operating cost is only 30 bucks.
Then, there are interim auctions before the 3 yr contract is due, to adjust price for stupid politicians tinkering with the market. Eventually the grid operator sells the contracted power to it's customers for full retail.
To say that California, or any customer anywhere is ruining anything by buying power from the grid operator is just ridiculous.
By the way, I hate wind and solar too...it's total BS. Keep the hydro until small Thorium plants in India are proven.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.