Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by viking
I assume they/we will send bridge builders too.

Had a partner years ago that used to be a mechanic on M1s. If i recall, he said it took something like 8 hours to teach/learn how to start the motor. System checks….

So in other words it’s going to take a lot of training for those Ukes, time isn’t on their side. How long is tanker school these days? 8-10 weeks?

8 hours is pretty short, TBH - it's less than a full day's work. That said - how many of those checks to start up the engine can be skipped for battlefield expediency?

Every trainer I ever had has used the line "This is how you're supposed to do it but this is how I do it..." - I don't care the side, people figure out shortcuts to get chit moving when you're being shot at.
It doesn't really matter how you start a tank when it will be blown to shot in a few minutes by artillery.

It needs to get into position first....

That said - I've always said I don't care about the politics on this, what's interesting to me is the battlefield work. Unit v Unit tactics/results etc.

I also assume we're providing the Ukes a pile of intel to help which, likely, does more good than another pallet of 7.62x39 or a cannon or two.

Me