BLR in 358 was my first Alaskan rifle. Used it lots and eventually got the rifle to 6lbs. Was a dream to carry.

I did have a couple failures to fire. Once on a caribou in 30 below zero weather and once on a fall time moose. The slop of rotating bolt lock-up combine with a complicated firing pin, combined with old gummy gun oil in a rifle that shouldn't be taken apart was the cause.

The rifle was loaned out and frog lube and/or rem-oil was used in it. Flog lube eventually turns to sticky gummy crap. It is terrible in cold weather environments.

What I eventually did, was pull the buttstock, shucked the bolt open and soaked the action in a gallon jug of sea foam. Rifle sat there for a week. Followed up with compressed air and the light primer strike issue went away.

The blr has the strongest extractor out of any lever action I've ever owned. I've owned savage 99, marlin 1894 and 1895, marlin 256 win mag, browning 95 and win mod 94.

*if you have an old blr with God knows how many different brands of gun oil in the thing, shuck the fkn bolt open and soak it in sea foam.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/25/23.