I've noodled around with .50 PRB's for most of my ML hunting until the late 90's, with nary an issue dropping deer in my neck of the woods where typical shooting distances were short yardages, and sometimes measured in feet. The last rifle I built, over 20 years ago now, and which has been my main ML for deer since then, is a .45 (Ohio-style Vincent rifle) and while it works ok, a couple deer died kind of hard but incatious shooting on my part was equally to blame.

Would I/should I move up to a larger bore? Nah. Nowadays if I can't get an easy perfect close range shot I wave goodbye to Bre'r Deer, it's that easy. And since I'll never draw a bead on a moose/elk/bear with a ML (not many of them in these parts) that puts the kibosh to that idea.

That said, I've always hankered to build a Jaeger rifle and since traditionally they were big bores I may yet succumb to the larger diameter balls.

The only .62 caliber I have is a 14" bronze barreled miniature cannon I made from scratch. Don't know how it would do for deer but it plays hell on crab buoys out in the Chesapeake Bay! .610 ball, paper towel wadding, 60gr.FFFg makes for quite a thumper!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sorry for the crappy pic, it's a screen shot of a screen shot!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty