Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by Creeker
That bullet looks much like the Ballisti-Cast 1103.

Creeker,
Thanks for chiming in here.
Didn't Ballisti-Cast buy out Hensley and Gibbs?
From what I've read (I know.. I know..) isn't the Ballisti-Cast 1103 the very same as the H&G 503? Which would *imply* a Keith mold, right? Here, however, with the Lachmiller I have it's round lube grooves and drive bands of different thicknesses..

Have you launched any bullets shaped like this Lachmiller? I'm curious how they worked for you.

Fun - and perhaps a little frustrating - chasing down the history of some of these designs.

Yes Dennis purchased H&G or a least a bunch of their stuff. I was in the Ballisti-Cast shop just out of Plaza, ND & he showed me all the "stuff" & there was a pile of it.

The BC 1103 is suppose to be the same bullet as the H&G 503 but keep in mind that all these were cherrie cut so when a cherrie needed replaced it was up to the maker to repeat said cherrie. This hasn't worked well for those such as Lyman but I believe BC, H&G, & Walt at NEI has a good handle on this.

The BC 1103 I cast used a flat bottomed lube groove. The only picture I can come up with at present I'll post at the bottom. The round vs flat debate has raged for many years. I've shot both & can tell no difference on paper.

And yes I've shot a Lyman 429421 which used a very narrow front band. The bullet was used in my SBH Ruger with 21 grains of 2400. It was a tack driver. Guess no one told the Ruger that bullet was worthless. As for Lachmiller, never shot one of their bullets of any kind.

The Ballisti-Cast 1103
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]