Originally Posted by Swamplord
On your way to Cantwell up the Parks Hwy, approx 2 hrs North of skAnkorage .... you have Willow Creek, Sheep Creek, Montana Creek & few others ...

In mid June you can fish for king salmon, rainbow trout, dolly varden, grayling, whitefish & camp out near the river, Willow & Montana Creek are pay sites but Sheep Creek campground is free

It's all catch n release & a hell of a time playing 30-50 lb kings with a $50 Ugly Stick rod/reel combo
Fairly sure it was closed to king last year until June 13? Whatever that date is. FYI. There really were no salmon last year to speak off. And the rest of what you mention where hit so hard since there were no salmon they became hard to catch. At least thats what we saw in Talkeetna and it was a rare day in the 90 or so that I wasn't on the rivers somewhere most of the day if not all of the day.

Hopefully better this year but I seriously doubt it.

That said don't hesitate to have a rod and stop where and when you have time. You simply never know. oh yeah. 50 pound kings are not around every corner. Have caught a few each year except zero last year. 30 pounds are decent fish anymore. Biggest I've ever taped was 62 and it wasn't small but very uncommon.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....