Originally Posted by 338reddog
Originally Posted by limabean
Looking at one that has been painted camo by bubba, doesn’t look beat up and was made in 1980. I’m sure I can get the paint off with a little patience. They want 660 out the door. Are there any years that were better or worse than others? Trying to decide if I want to get it.

Supposedly the late production as there was a part redesign . As I remember the early ones have a part (trigger guard?) that is prone to breakage and no parts are available. This is from a aging memory so do some checking. I sold mine a year or so ago, it was a late production gun. Wish I had kept it.

Yes, there was a redesign due to trigger housing breakage. I also don't know the year. There have been stock breakage problems as well, whether it's 1st or 2nd gen isn't known to me either.

Yes, No cast bullets. Will clog gas system over time & nearly impossible to correct.

I had a new 44-R(factory equipped with a Williams peep) & it was a neat rifle that was fun to shoot. But the no cast bullet thing, plus it throwing a lot of my brass away had me soon losing interest.

Thinking the fact it's discontinued is likely pricing them about double their worth IMO. .