Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Ever seen any data giving the 308 and a 150 grain bullet 2650 fps and Bullseye being the shown powder?

No. But the principal remains. All else being equal, faster powders will generate more pressure at a given velocity.

Velocity can't be used to gauge pressure.
Correct it’s not a gauge, just as your Hornady Round Nose bullets expanding primer pockets is not “a Gauge”.

If you're using a load that's stretching the primers pockets first time out, you're over pressure.

Believe it.

Absolutely correct. But according to your criteria. It is still not a guage, as you have no idea what pressure was required to expand the primer pockets of this particular piece of brass.

Proper use of a Chrony could have warned of excessive pressure/velocity, before you ruined your brass.

And yes, I have ruined my share of brass. I have managed, while experimenting, to expand brass enough that it would not fit into the shell holder on my press.

As mentioned, I swelled the primer pockets out of some .243 brass using a load that was listed as below maximum. I didn't check velocity. But I doubt if the velocity was excessive. The pressure in the cartridge was high because the long bearing surface of that particular bullet was creating much higher than typical drag as it passed down the barrel.

That excessive drag could very well have caused velocities to be lower even though it pushed pressures higher.

Chronographs don't measure pressure.

That's it.

That's all.

If you were using the proper burn rate powder, your velocity was higher as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first