Because I can, and I worked hard to be able to do so. Was born on family farm in PA, dad moved us to OH when I was in middle school. My folks had lived for a couple years in Cascade ID before I was born so I grew up hearing about it. And dreaming about it. Finally saw the Rocky’s on a family trip when I was 12. Started working ranches in the summer in MT as a teen, and found that it truly was all I had dreamed of. Never wanted to see the world, but wanted to see enough to decide where to settle before I had kids. Worked a couple states in the mountain west, worked a summer living in a wall tent near Healy AK. Then reached all the goals I’d set for myself and married a pretty girl, had a son and made our home in the bitterroot here in MT. Wanted a life above the poverty line for my wife and kids so chose a career that let me do so and that took me to a whole different and beautiful part of the country, and slowly worked my way back here.

I stay because of the people, politics, and opportunity to live my life as I see fit. At least as much as a man can in this day and age.

I have family both blood and in-laws that live where the family lineage goes back further than reliable records. Sometimes I wonder if I should’ve done the same, but I was born with itchy feet, and as the second son in any prior century I would’ve had to make my own way anyways. I have plenty of regrets, but none in respect to where I chose to live.

MAGA