Most any dog can be pretty "versatile" if provided some training and given a chance. The afore mentioned Continental breeds are best known for such work hence their often being referenced as "Versatile breeds".

Other breeds can do a decent job of working outside of the boxes many place them. My English setters and one Pointer have all been expected to and have provided yeoman work retrieving from both land and water. This includes multiple marks though more than two gets to be challenging for many of the dogs I've had. 4 land marks has been the tops and that was not always a sure thing though it was more often than not. They have also been taught to run lines and take hand signals which is invaluable for blind retrieves and to control the dogs when around spooky birds. It also has come in handy in "herding" cattle though it is not herding in the traditional sense. They have been introduced to trailing since pups to not only run down crippled birds on land and water but also blood trail larger game such as deer and bear. Two years ago my current setter conducted a mile and a half trail of a buch that a neighbor shot in the jaw. We lost the deer when it crossed into a state sanctuary where we were not allowed to go.

Pointers can be pretty sharp on fur too, though I believe my setters learned such from the wirehairs. My first setter would bark at fur if it did not sit for a point but the others would be right in the mix when it came to fighting raccoons, fox, woodchucks, muskrats, skunks, and the like. A few times coyotes were bayed and bobcats and grey fox being treed with the latter two generally getting a pass if seasons were closed. I chased coyotes with greyhounds once and a coyote has its work cut out for it to lose hunting dogs as they are willing and able to use their noses when the coyote ducks out of sight.

That is not to mention various mutts that are out there too. I haven't had one that I couldn't teach to poke around in cover to flush whatever may be there though many appear to not realize their purpose. The current hunting mutt is a Pitbull/Aussie heeler or Shepard mix that has turned into a decent flushing dog. Despite its bloodlines it is not aggressive on fur at all though it doesn't mind sounding off if coyotes or vermin are around. I think it is more fear than protection as it runs for the protection of the other dogs if whatever is being barked at alters course towards it.