Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
The older ones had a 2 piece feed throat that is prone to separating. The 2 that I own are used, and were so cruddy in the action I'm surprised they shot. If you can get it for under $175 that's pretty good for these days. If it is an older one the plastic buffer may have hardened and cracked or may in the near future. They are cheap, and easy to replace.
+1. My former SIL gave me his old Marlin 60. Don't know how old it is (and don't really care) but it has a 21" barrel, long loading tube (almost to end of barrel) and last-shot hold-open feature. When I got it, the action was full (and I do mean full) of crud. Since he had fired almost exclusively CCI Stingers (which are not recommended based on the instruction manual I printed), I did replace the plastic buffer (easy to do) and gave it a thorough cleaning. The action ran noticeably smoother, after I cleaned it. This is the most accurate rimfire rifle out of the 4 that I own with anything I've shot out of it (mostly CCI and some Winchester ammo). Given the long barrel and the feeding tube, it is also the easiest for me to shoot accurately without a rest. I don't know what the prices are running for used ones in my area.