Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
[quote=MickinColo]Early on the No. 1 was Bill's baby and the barrel quality control was held at a high standard. Ruger was buying barrels from Douglas and Wilson. As time moved on the quality control wasn't what it was in the beginning. Both barrel makers had their problems, and Ruger didn't do much about it. Once Ruger started making their own barrels (mid 80s as I remember) the problems started going away.

They started to get their barrel problems under control about the time the lawyers started to screw up the action.

This is the original action of the No. 1, very few were made. Very adjustable but not easy.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is what replaced it, much easier to adjust.

But after the lawyers got a hold of it, this piece of crap is the trigger of today.
The consensus amongst the serious Ruger No.1 and M77 collectors is that the Douglas barrel contract from 1967 to 1973 were high quality and very accurate. When Douglas couldn't keep up with demand, the contract was awarded to Wilson. That contract was where SOME barrels had questionable QC, and the contract lasted up to 1990, upon which time Ruger started to make their own hammer forged barrels of good quality.

If you can fine this book, it's a source of information on the No.1
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote
Yep! I received my copy from Lee Newton.