Originally Posted by imac42
More pictures will have to wait, but I will get pictures...........................
I guess, 4½ years later, but you are definitely a man of your word! Welcome back!

The 29-A's started with serial number 1000 and were introduced in 1938 based on the best information I can find. The early ones all had octagon barrels and the very early ones of those had the Model 29 barrel stamp with the '-A' added. Later round barreled versions are more common at about 2 to 1. A few very early ones also had the '-A' added on the receiver stamp but yours has the correct stamp. Checkered wood was standard until a few in 1950, the last year of production.

The 29-A was a much improved action over the 29 and should have been a completely different model instead of just adding the -A. It's a stronger action than the 29 but I still suggest only shooting standard velocity in them and definitely no hyper performance loads, I have seen a few with distorted locking surfaces in the receivers. The scope and it's mounting holes have been added.

Gene