Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I had a gunsmith friend who did the hog hunt jump in and knife em thing. He jumped on it and knifed it just fine, but after all the kicking and commotion he had alot of upper body brusing. He said it was the sorest he's ever been and it was a long miserable ride back home. No thanks. Do yourself and the pig a favor and burn some powder. Knives are for cleaning.

LOL! Then his guide(s) need their butt kicked until their nose bleeds!

To catch a hog by hand.
Approach the hog from the rear. Easily accomplished when the dogs have the pig distracted.
Grab the hogs left hind leg with your right hand. Lift and flip at the same time and grab the right leg with your left hand.
If you do it right, the pig will be upside down, belly forward. With little short, stubby front legs, they can't regain their feet.
In that position, it isn't hard to slip a blade behind the front leg for a heart "shot".

My uncle was a vet. I spent a summer up there catching pigs when he held a vaccination clinic. Pig farmers showed up from miles around to get their pigs vaccinated. Catching several hundred pigs a day was common.
In all honesty, don't remember that we wrestled anything over about 30 pounds or so.