Researching to develop my first shotgun load and looking for some advice on loading components.

Coming from nearly 20 years cartridge loading experience, but realize loading for shotguns is a whole other ballgame.

My plan is to load 2 1/2" 16 gauge shells for use on small game (Squirrels and rabbits) out of a short chambered, full choke, Winchester 1897.

Have scoured over the BP manual, Lyman 5e, and the database from 16ga.com, but just want to gain any additional input that you all may have.

I am planning on using components from BP because...well...they are available. I will be using a Lee load-all II. Which presents the first problem. A load all will only load 2 3/4 inch shells. My plan is to trim the case to 2 1/2 inches and use a hartin crimp with an overshot card, resulting in the same loaded length as a 2 3/4" shell.

I have a can of Longshot floating around so that is the powder I would like to go with.

I will be running no. 5 lead.

Now to the point, my first question is what load weight would you all start off with considering the firearm and the intended targets (longer range shots are the norm? I was planning on running at least 1oz.

Which leads to my second question, which BP wad would you use for that scenario? I am thinking the Field Commander would be better suited to heaver loads and longer shots.

The following load ID's from the BP 16ga manual seem to fit the bill of what I am looking for, using Ched hulls, Field Commanders, and Longshot.
100226-1814
141204-6159
100226-1814B

Any of you all experimented with these loads? I have heard mixed reviews of the load data in the BP manual so wanted to get some first hand knowledge on these if possible.

At any rate, I would appreciate any advice or input you all have to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!