I must make a a sad confession for a man who loves lever action rifles. I've never owned a lever action designed by John Moses Browning. I know its sad but it's the truth. But perhaps all is not yet lost because I've often thought of a Rossi '92. Particularly a 357Magnum. I think two things have held me back from already owning one. First is the fact that I love Marlin rifles! There is nothing like solid American made Marlin rifle with its deep bluing and American black walnut stocks. Secondly, I hate metallic sights! Plain and simple I just hate them. I can shoot them well enough in ample light, or I could until a few rears ago when I passed my 50th birthday. I can shoot receiver (peep) sights much better but still have issues when light begins to fail.

I buy rifles primarily to hunt with and to play with secondly. Or that's the way its always been. But if I would admit it (which I'm not) I already have more rifles than I can hunt with now. Maybe I'm going to have to change the reason I own firearms from self defense and hunting to self defense, hunting and fun!

So after all this... What are the pros and cons to the Winchester 92 clones? What should look for and what should I avoid like the plague? I have a fondness for the 357magnum, cast bullets and short barrels. I could live with a 20" as long as it is not an octagon barrel. Would the Rossi carbines be dependable and trouble free or should I save up for a Browning? And it must be capable of having a receiver sight as purchased or with only minor gunsmithing.
Let me hear your thoughts...

Goat

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)