Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a steel Lyman on one and am thinking of putting it on the other. I’ll look into the sour dough sight. I have a brass post front sight on another lever rifle.

My newest 45-70 (Remington Marlin) still has factory sights. That’s the one I’m thinking of replacing front and back.

On my Remington Marlin (Guide Gun) the front sight was so loose I shifted under fire between two deer. The first dropped where she stood and the second I'm not sure where it hit because she made it into a swamp and was not recovered. Wondering what I did wrong, I looked over the rifle and the front sight was about half out of the dovetail. That's a long winded way to say Skinner. I replaced those sights and they are great for the guide gun. Fit wasn't an issue because the guide gun set replaces the entire front sight assembly. It did take some time with a file to get elevation right but after that the sights have been great. I haven't shot the gun in about a year though because the stock developed a crack in the tang and the ear at the receiver broke off. I'll replace those soon though.