Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
John, what a great adventure that must have been! When it comes to BTDT, it doesn't get any better than this. cool

Thank you and be well. smile -Al

Thanks!

One thing I've written about more than once recently is how lucky I've been in my career. Not only started out back when magazines paid a lot more than they do today, but had many opportunities to travel inexpensively to hunt many places--often with Eileen--one of the reasons I decided to become an "outdoor" writer in the first place. Have hunted in quite a few countries around the world, some multiple times--such as 15 trips to Canada and eight to Africa.

Many people plan to travel after they retire. But by the time I turned 60 a decade ago, we'd both done enough traveling to grow a little weary of airports, and had done the trips we'd hoped to. So I decided to stay in Montana, hunting with family and friends, unless some unusually interesting opportunity came along. There have been a few, such as an all-bird safari in South Africa in 2015. I love bird hunting as much as big game, but in Africa only got to do a little on the side before that. Also went to Finland that fall, to tour the Sako/Tikka factory and hunt deer and moose. But basically we stay in Montana anymore--which is a pretty good place to fish and hunt!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck