The old Tulane Stadium or the old Sugar Bowl (Yulman Stadium) in New Orleans had a 50’ rimfire range below the stands. In ‘72 we had a big match there during Mardi Gras with ROTC and school teams from all over the SEC.

The night before we all went out with our coach “Gunny B****” and since it was Mardi Gras, we had a few 😁 beers.

The next morning we weren’t feeling so great but we had breakfast and headed to the range for a practice round. I fired prone and cleaned all ten bulls so I felt pretty good about my relay a little later.

Well, later I dropped one point on my prone target and did better in kneeling and offhand than I had done in practice the week before. Not good enough…I missed Third Place by ONE point. Rats! What could I have done if I was feeling up to par? I still kick myself about it now and then.

Toward the end of the semester, we had a cookout at Gunny B****’s house. I had been Team Captain for three years so the team gave me a plaque. On the back Gunny B**** had taped my perfect practice target that all the team members had autographed 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.