Originally Posted by Clynn
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by Wp75169
Let me ask this another way .
One of the disadvantages of a FFP scope is how small the reticle appears at very low power in a variable power scope. The reticle in a SFP scope doesn't appear small and Of course doesn't change size, so it must be magnified to a certain extent ?

In a SFP scope the reticle is between your eye and where the magnification occurs. Making it static. In a FFP it’s after the magnification so it changes sizes with the magnification.

I get that it is static . So a SFP scope has a reticle magnification of zero and a target image of whatever power the magnification ring is set on ?
The reticle is not magnified. The size of the markings (subtensions) on the reticle is set by the manufacturer, usually at max power.

I get that too .
If a FFP scope reticle is too small to be useable in timber because it gets "lost" at say 2 power , why is a SFP reticle not too small at zero magnification ?

Because it is a fixed size from the start.

Hold a toothpick between you and a magnifying glass. No matter what magnification the glass is the toothpick looks the same. (SFP).

Hold the toothpick on the other side of the magnifying glass and it changes with different magnifications.

If that don’t help, I can’t help.