Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I always drool when I look at double rifles. I almost bought a Holland and Holland 450-500 BPE at a collectors show in Dallas last year. It was a gorgeous hammer gun, but that cartridge wouldn’t be fun for the smaller animals we have in Montana.

So what is the 8X57R? I’m assuming it is the German 8mm Mauser, with a rim. Mine was a 7X57R which is the same as the 7X57 with a rim…

I'd love to see that 7X57R, shrap. I tend to drool a bit, also. That 450-500 should have followed you home, IMO. Lots of guys use 45-70s, on up. Why not the BPE? cool

I have bought so many guns that I have to quit. A gun as big in caliber as that isn’t pleasant to shoot all day and I like shooting my rifles a lot. I can spend a whole week in the prairie dog fields shooting varmint rifles with no discomfort. Recoil isn’t something I want to deal with that much.

I see how many guys buy and build big game guns and cartridges to sight in and shoot a handful of times during the year and it doesn’t make sense, so I stick with the varmint calibers so I can shoot them a lot…

I am with you on big caliber's, sure you need for some game, but for me that was not the case, so I stayed with the medium calibers