I have two 88 rifles and one carbine, all in 308 Win. The first year some changes were made, all tech and all positive. My rifles came to me coincidentally as super bargains. A category as targets of opportunity; funds available. My first year of carbine production as '68 vintage & "pre G" series SN prefix, came to me with interest and 'cheap' by today's standards as 'ultra'. I like it best for handling and the unadorned wood, barrel band stock only adornment. Lightweight & quick handling! More ergonomic than any of the 'classic' context Winchester Levers, but then on balance 'not classic' either!

Of course, the 88 strong suit as the ability to handle high pressure loads adroitly. I would have preferred a recoil pad installed, but also even the some decades ago, wanting to keep it original. Most often 'pads' for me aren't about recoil as much as more comfortable "length of pull"! The .308 chambering great all-round and as the 30-30 of the 94 Lever creed; 'cheap and available' everywhere! The trigger is bit of compromise as nothing to write home about and purists to complain/disdain. Mine was quite acceptable for such rifle as Factory intended! A side point that the "pre '64" has much less implication in terms of overall rifle "altered". The Model 88 was a child of the fifties are compared to even the 'later' levers versions of pre WWII era. No huge pre & post '64 alterations of any kind... The significant changes were in stock aesthetics! Basket weave style grip patterns replacing the conventional checkering! Happily as noted, the 88 Carbine didn't suffer that disgrace!
I've heard mixed bags about the 100, but I don't by now recall anything specific and too, ammo with much more effect potential than on a lever gun!

A footnote on topic of ammo availability. My belief commercial guns ammo will increase incredibly. Since the Ukraine War, we've reentered a Soviet Era world of contentions and confrontations. Of 'local wars' portending considerable international multi-state dimensions. All this, already pointing up US and wider NATO "unpreparedness". From weapons to munitions to even small arms supplies. Some civilian production going away to military requirements directly and much more going away in lucrative Government, foreign & domestic, contracts. Huge quantities of such "materials" as not "edging out" but "kicking out" sportsmen and our paltry needs. Supply+demand=$$$$$$$$$. Handloading not the answer as materials will be about as quick to deplete! From "slow" supply chain, to "no supply chain".
If some perfect peaceful solution with all combatants to cross their hearts and "never do again"; lesson learned. As 'nuke wars' are threatened, war provision resources will be maintained on "stand by" perhaps for decades even if "stability" achieved!

Enough prognostications!
Best!
John