Originally Posted by Salmonella
Muskies are supposedly the fish of a thousand casts.
People don't realize how hard it is to cast those heavy broomsticks all day.
I have for decades fished from sunup to sundown.
Cast after cast after cast for King Salmon and Striped Bass.
We fished mostly with 8-12 lb fast action Salmon-Steelhead rods with 300 class Diawa Lexas, Shimano Curados and Chronarchs.
We caught countless kings up to 40#.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice fish.
I’m not a caster per se for musky anymore. Even with the lighter gear I choose to use and supply clients with they physically wear down quick and the tangles and backlashes increase. Heck I’m getting older too.
Trolling is my primary especially in real clear water. There is no more heroism in boating a musky on the cast than the troll to me.
One exception is a warm summer days approaching thunderstorm. That last hour of the approaching black clouds, when you can hear the Thunder and see the lightening coming is unbelievably good, cast away and enjoy!

Osky

A note on the big lures. I often work a double set with a good flashy bladed bucktail type or flashy spoon style and within 15 feet or less a smaller rapala like an sr9 size or even a seven. You would be surprised at how often the musky or pike will take that smaller lure. I think at times they are just plain not hungry but can’t resist the attack reflex after being attracted so the little lure takes the duty.
Be sure and check even the little lure hooks because new doesn’t mean sharp and be sure and back the drag off a little on that rod.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.