Congratulations on your first trip. I'm sure you, your family and friends will have a great time.

You've probably already done "all" the research and prep. I just want to toss out a couple of minor items that might end up having a significant impact then expected.

1. Make sure any US cash you take is the new current issue with the blue security stripe. IF you need to exchange US for Rand, the exchanges won't take the "old" currency. Most formal stores, restaurants all take credit cards but, if you want any street side souvenirs it will be cash. They will take USD but be VERY aware of the current USD/ZAR exchange rate. As of today, it's about 18:1 (18 Rand to 1 USD). Also, any street side vendors you can do a good bit of haggling with it they don't have signs with prices posted.

2. Credit cards. I would highly recommend you call your CC provider and make sure they know you'll be out of the US and in RSA during certain days. They may tell you you don't have to notify them of overseas travel. HOWEVER, IF your CC provider sends you email or text messages about "suspicious" transactions and you don't respond within their time limit, you could very well have your card turned off. I travel OS several times a year. IF I call the normal customer service number and explain I want to put a foreign travel notice on my account I'm always told I don't have to anymore. The first TWO times I believed them and had my card cut off early in a trip. So now, I call the fraud department and make sure they put an entry of countries I'll be in/transiting etc and dates for each. The reason most CC providers say they don't require a travel notice is due to the aforementioned email/text message verification....that's great IF you have cell/data or even WIFI access while traveling. Which brings me to.....

3. Make sure your cell phone provider plans work in the countries you're going thru/to. Some only work in the US. Some, like AT&T and Verizon offer international use add-ons for talk/data/text at either a extra daily, weekly or monthly rate. Nearly all lodging, restaurants, cafe's and Outfitter guest lodging have access to some amount of WIFI that you can pop while in camp etc. Most of the newer smartphones offer Voice over IP calling and simple text messages. The VOIP allows you to make regular voice calls directly back to the US just by dialing normal numbers. You can to video calls via iPhone Facetime, Goggle's Meet/Duo, or WhatsApp, Skype etc.

Lastly, things in Africa seem to happen in their own time and at a much slower, leisurely and sometime maddening pace. Take a deep breath, try to relax and kind of go with the flow a bit Things just seem to sort themselves out......usually and sometimes in a way much better than expected.

Take LOTS of photos and have a great trip.

Michael