Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Not allways the rifle some bullets are bad that way. First original Barnes X bullets copper fouled bad enough to ruin the groups in 12 rounds in my mkV 270 wthby with 130 gr x bullets from factory PMC made Eldorado loads. Took a lot of effort to get clean. SAME thing happened in a lefthand 240 wthby mag with the blue coated x bullets. Stopped using the x period. I have some triple shocks now without the same problem but it sure soured me on Barnes bullets...mb

Bob,

You haven't tried Triple Shocks before now? Just wondering!

Actually, I found the last few years of the original X-Bullets didn't foul nearly as much, and grouped very well. Talked this over with Randy Brooks, and he said it was because they finally could get consistently good copper, which helped making consistent bullets much easier. I believed him--because at the time I was hunting a lot with two rifles, a Ruger Hawkeye 6.5x55 and a CZ 9,3x62--which BOTH shot the new Xs (not TSX's) into tiny groups--and didn't copper-foul more than average cup-and-core bullets. (Of course, both had very good barrels.)

But the TSXs were a game-changer. We first started using them in 2004, shortly after they were introduced.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck