Originally Posted by McInnis
jwp, I’ve been reading, and learning from, your posts here for long time and have come to understand your thinking that jacketed bullets don’t tend to impact with enough velocity to ensure reliable expansion. At least as applied to big bore handguns for big game.

Where I live self-defense usually means protection against grizzlies as I’m in their country pretty much any time I go into the woods. I always carry heavy hard cast bullets in my .44s and .45s.

In the rare cases I go into places where I’m more worried about people I carry a snub-nosed .357 mag with 140 grn XTP bullets. But I’ve been thinking about replacing them with 158 grn cast bullets. What are your thoughts (and everyone elses) on the use of cast bullets for self defense?

A hardcast flat point with a 75 to 78% meplat and proper nose shape will out penetrate any JHP and usually JFP bullets and leave a wound channel that looks like a JHP that expanded made

Do some wet pack penetration tests with 4 layers of denim over the front. It will be eye opening

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first