Originally Posted by hunter13
I have four knives that are my current favorites. Based on my history, tomorrow it will probably be some new shiny penny.

1. A Menefee Lil Dumpling;

2. A Dozier semiskinner. I forget the name. I know it’s “just” D2, but this knife gets a toothy edge that is incredible;

3. A Hollinger fillet/boner in I think S35v,

and finally,something way different,

4. A Montana Knife Company, Stonewall Skinner in Magnacut. I love the shape of this knife. Is the finish up to an Ingram? Nah, but, I think that it is the perfect all around design. I have a thing for tapered tangs, so I would like that better. Most top makers don’t like to copy other knife makers designs. I would like to have this knife with a tapered tang and Orange Osage scales. Put it in a Parson’s sheath and a lanyard hole. Put a leather thong on with a couple antique Venetian blue Indian trade beads and I’m done.

As to steel, that’s a hard one (pun intended). I find stainless the most practical, but really like high carbon. The problem as we all know is that high carbon doesn’t do well with elk or deer blood. Kill an elk some distance from camp, use and then sheath your knife and mess for hours getting the elk out, then skinned, then a couple of celebration bourbons and forget the knife in the sheath. Whatever steels(can’t tell a huge amount of difference in any of the premium steels), the blade needs to be thin and a Rockwell in the 60’s.

Everybody, has different views on the shape, but I think that handle should fit the size of your hand and have rounded edges.

Probably all bs and just the ramblings of a knife and gun nut. Don’t get me started on the perfect rifle. Barsness has a good article on the pursuit of perfection. It’s a fool’s endeavor, but it is kind of fun.

Just...wow... "High Carbon" WTF???

Last edited by Journeyman; 04/06/23.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...